Spouse & Fiancé Visas

Our Immigration Lawyers Can Help Bring Your Family Together

Visa Applications for your Spouse or FIance

U.S. immigration laws place a special emphasis on allowing spouses, fiancés or fiancées and children to come together in one place, but the procedures can still be confusing and time-consuming.

At Valverde & Rowell, P.C., in Virginia Beach, Virginia, we help clients obtain visas allowing their spouses, children and fiancés to come to America as quickly as possible. Contact us to discuss your options with a skilled spouse and fiancé based visa lawyer who has the experience to complete all the necessary paperwork.

Helping Spouses and People who are Engaged

The spouses (and children) of U.S. citizens may apply for lawful permanent residency or LPR through the green card process, but this process can take a long time. The K-3 and K-4 visa process can be faster than applying for a green card, allowing spouses, fiancés and fiancées to be reunited on American soil with less hassle:

  • K-1 visa: allows a fiancé or fiancée of a permanent resident of America to enter the United States
  • K-2 visa: allows the children of a fiancé or fiancée of a permanent resident to enter the country legally
  • K-3 visa: enables the husband or wife of a U.S. citizen to enter the country legally before being approved for a green card.
  • K-4 visa: enables the children of a U. S. citizen to enter the country legally

We have helped unite many foreign-born fiancées of American-born service members, who want to immigrate, marry and raise their children here. We help clients prepare and file the application, both here and in American embassies abroad.

Strategies to Reduce Visa Wait Times

One of the greatest obstacles to being reunited quickly is the large backlog of visa applications for spouses, fiancés or families. If the applicant has a criminal conviction or has been here before illegally, it may be necessary to apply for a waiver in order to receive the visa.

Our spouse and fiancé based visa lawyers also help applicants figure out the wisest visa strategy to speed up the process. We look at processing time at the embassy to help clients decide between waiting for a K-3 visa or applying for an employment-based or temporary student visa.

Once you have your K-3 or K-4 visa, a spouse and fiancé based visas lawyer at our law firm can help you apply for a green card through the LPR program, so that you can get on the path to securing U.S. citizenship for your entire family. If the person receiving the green card has been married for less than 2 years, the green card is a conditional residence granted only for two years. Prior to the expiration of this 2 year conditional residence, an additional I-751 Petition must be filed.

I-751 Petitions to Remove Conditions on Residence

Prior to the expiration of the 2-year conditional permanent residence period, a I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence must be jointly filed by husband and wife. Complications arise when the marital relationship has terminated due to incompatibility or abuse and the I-751 Petition cannot be jointly filed. Should this be your situation, our experienced immigration lawyers can help secure your lawful permanent residence.

Contact us to schedule a consultation with an experienced spouse and fiancé based visas attorney.

Valverde & Rowell, P.C. ATTORNEYS[ ]
  • Bradford A. Miller
    Bradford A. Miller
    Associate at Valverde & Rowell, P.C.
  • Hugo Raul Valverde
    Hugo Raul Valverde
    Partner at Valverde & Rowell, P.C.
  • R. Barry Rowell
    R. Barry Rowell
    Partner at Valverde & Rowell, P.C.
  • Andrew J. Reigel
    Andrew J. Reigel
    Associate at Valverde & Rowell, P.C.