Norfolk Breach of Contract Attorney
Employing Virginians in your business or other entity creates great opportunities for both you and your employees, but it can also be a minefield of legal dangers. Employment is a carefully regulated economic relationship, and employers often need the counsel and representation of skilled attorneys.
At Valverde & Rowell, P.C., we help employers comply with all relevant laws and defend themselves against the sorts of allegations that can often arise from misunderstandings in the workplace. Contact us at our offices in Virginia Beach for help with any of the following employment law issues:
- Wage and hour law: Federal and Virginia law requires most employers to pay at least a minimum wage and pay overtime to employees who work more than 40 hours a week. There are many myths among employers about wage and hour laws. We can help you sort out myth from fact, and if you are targeted with a wage and hour complaint, we can offer you a skilled and comprehensive defense.
- Discrimination and harassment: Legally, employers may be on the hook for acts of discrimination or sexual harassment committed by their employees against other employees. If you have been accused of discrimination or harassment, we can defend you against the claims.
- Unemployment claims: If you have employees who are claiming unemployment benefits, we can help you sort out whether they are entitled to those benefits and represent you in any disputes that arise.
- Employment manuals: Before distributing any written policies to your employees, you should always consult an employment lawyer to ensure that you are not violating any employment laws or making legally binding commitments that could damage your interests.
- Noncompetition agreements: When an employer wants to ensure that an employee does not use his or her on-the-job training to help a competitor, a noncompetition agreement may be the best option. These agreements are tricky and require the careful attention of an experienced attorney. They can be enforced through a breach of contract action.
When you need a knowledgeable lawyer to handle employment contracts, transactions and litigation, don't hesitate to contact us.