Norfolk Beach Employment Discrimination Lawyer
The employment relationship is one of the most important legal relationships for both businesses and workers. Employers and employees both have legal rights and responsibilities and are likely unfamiliar with all the employment laws that apply. That is where we come in.
Call the attorneys at Valverde & Rowell, P.C. in Virginia Beach for a confidential consultation about your employment law concern. You will meet with a skilled employment lawyer who will listen to your concern, and suggest potential solutions. We are available by telephone at 757-383-9947 or 866-719-0059, or contact us via e-mail.
At Valverde & Rowell, P.C., in Virginia Beach, we can help you understand how employment law affects you. We skillfully represent both employers and employees in employment concerns such as:
- Employer representation : Employment laws can be confusing and create liability for employers. We can help you sort out your legal rights and obligations, and defend you against employment discrimination or other claims that are made against your business by current or former employees.
- Workers' compensation : If you have been injured on the job, you may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses and lost wages, no matter who was at fault for your injuries. All employees, including undocumented immigrants, are entitled to workers' compensation if they are injured on the job, through no fault of their own.
- Employer compliance : We help companies avoid problems such as employment discrimination by advising them on the requirements of the law and suggesting corrective measures.
- Non-compete agreements : We represent employers who wish to protect their interests with non-compete agreements, and employees who would like a legal review before agreeing to terms and conditions they may not understand.
- Minimum wage and overtime: Under federal and Virginia wage and hour laws, most employees are entitled to be paid a minimum wage and time-and-a-half for hours over 40 in a given week. Employers cannot force employees to sign away these rights. If you believe you are not getting the wages and overtime you deserve, we can help.
- Employment discrimination and harassment: You have a right to be free from employment discrimination at work based on your race, color, gender, national origin, disability status or other protected status. You also have a right to be free of sexual harassment, and your employer cannot retaliate against you for voicing discrimination and harassment complaints. We can guide you through the EEOC and private enforcement processes.
- Unemployment claims and appeals : If you are laid off from your job, you may be entitled to unemployment compensation under federal law. We can help you file a claim for unemployment and defend your rights if your employer contests your claim.
We also handle closely related issues such as wrongful termination claims. Contact us to discuss how an attorney at our firm can help you defend your rights as an employer or employee under federal and Virginia employment law.